In true PACT spirit, PACT parents orchestratedthis one-stop shop onsite after-school care at Stevenson School. It comprises of a la carte enrichment classes taught by various professional extracurricular service providers, and extended care by Newton Center. (Enrichment classes are also assisted by parent volunteers.) Combining PACT PALS and Newton Centers care allows a student to stay on campus till up to 6pm. Cost of each class and extended care session is incremental. Your total cost depends on total time and selection of classes, starting from $10 a week. Past classes include Spanish, Drama, Mandarin, Karate, Chess, Newton Center, Tae Kwon Do, Public Speaking, Web programming, and so on.
Here is the current schedule of classes.
- PACT PALS has no classes on non-school days, but it covers all minimum days.
- PACT PALS requires online registration for each session - five per year. The only physical paperwork is emergency contact _if_ information has changed.
- Non-school days have onsite childcare by Newton Center at additional cost.
- Newton Center requires new paperwork when PACT PALS doesn't hold classes - no-school days, weeks, and no-PALS weeks (between sessions). Newton Center has also has separate arrangements for payment.
- Some holidays are not covered by onsite Newton Center care, including federal holidays like Veteran's Day. Be sure to match up the list of holidays with your work schedule. You may need drop-in care at another facility to cover for these days.
- How do I register? Each class vendor has a separate registration system. The class schedule has links to the different registrations.
- Classes start at 3:20pm and my Kinder's school ends at 2pm. What are my options for the time in between? You can choose to pick up your Kinder and drop them back to school at the start of class. Or you can enroll in Newton's Kinder Club (2pm to 3.30pm) and they will provide care for that time and drop your child to their class at 3.20pm.
- I need full-time care. How do I sign up for Newton Care before and/or after the enrichment classes? During PACT PALS sessions, you will be able to do this through the PACT PALS registration system. It will allow you to choose both the desired enrichment classes as well as the pre- and post-class care offered by Newton from end of school up to 6pm everyday. For no-school days while PACT PALS is in session, Newton Center will send reminders to parents who have already signed up for any portion of Newton Center activities, as well as distribute registration forms on site. When PACT PALS is not in session, you need to register directly with Newton Center. Look for Stevenson Elementary School for specific information.
- How does Thursday "Minimum Day" work?
- Newton Center care from end of PACT PALS classes to 6 pm is called Homework and Free Play Club. So on Thursdays, this is from 3-6 pm, other days it is from 4:30-6.
- If you choose not to take any PACT PALS classes and would like Newton Center from school dismissal to 6 pm it is called Full Afternoon Newton. Thursdays this would be 12:25-6, other days it is 3-6.
- Up to 3 pm Newton - this takes you from early dismissal time to 3 pm.
- 12:25-1:45 - covers the first afterschool time slot, useful if your child wants a class in the second slot but not the first
- 1:55-2:55 - your child is enrolled in a class for the first slot but not the second and you need the child care.